Subject: Metaform
From: [email-masked] (Rowan Crawford)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 95 23:16:12 EDT

I'm modeling a cute little car using MetaForm following the tute in
LWPro by Ken Stranahan.

I'm not getting the same results as him. Looking at the colour picture
inside the back page, 99% of his resulting polygons are 4 sided, and
the arrangment is *very* neat.

My car object is basically identical - after one MF it looks neat, but
not too smooth, so one MF later what I get is a MESS of "spider webs"
over the surface of the car.

I've checked for 1-2 sided poly's etc. I just can't figure how his
final object came out so neat. Looking at his, there's no way it's
the result of one MF because there are too many polygons. He can't
have done a subdivide/smooth either since none of the polys are 3
sided.

I also assume that he is ignoring non-flat polygons before doing the
MF, because there is no way he could move the points of 4 sided polys
around and hope they end up flat.. is there?

Another thing is that my car seems to come out very rounded in places
where his is flat (like the roof). I've moved the inner lines around
significantly without much change.

Thoughts? I'd especially like to avoid the spider-web syndrome.

(A1200 030 [no FPU] - LW 3.5 SA)

Thanks,
Row.